Wednesday 25 December 2013

CHRISTMAS GIFT


 
‘Like the string* is stuck’, Solomon said.

‘Yes, I can observe a sudden abnormal hike in SPP*’, I replied. ‘But I’ll call rig floor to confirm’, I added.

True to our speculation, there was a pack-off* as the driller confirmed it. Strange it was to me for we were still on the surface hole section, just at the beginning of the operation. I was curious so I asked Solomon and he explained to me that it must be that the unconsolidated formation collapsed around the string and choked it. Shortly, jarring* started, and went on for the rest of the day, but no, the string wouldn’t budge.

First day passed, no string, second day no string. The only information was the client reps on board were still communicating with town to know the next step. At last, they decided on employing wireline methods to recover the tool. This would involve loading some explosive into the well and letting it off. A toolbox meeting* was held prior to the operation and I was there as a representative of my department. Some safety procedures were required before the operation could start. There was to be radio silence (meaning every equipment or gadget transmitting radio waves e.g. mobile phones, internet satellites would be switched off) till the end of the operation, no movement around the area of operation—barrier tapes would be placed across the concerned areas and were not to be crossed by any non-essential person. The boats around were to move about five miles away from the rig and blabla and blabla.

All hands on deck, the operation started and ended. However, it was not successful, the gun did not activate. I knew it was going to be a tough time for the wireline guys for two of them were my friends, so I uttered some prayers to God to help them.

As a result of the failure of the equipment, they had to repeat the operation. At that time, it was already my sleeping time. The next day was Christmas. It was a beautiful Christmas morning as it birthed the release of the whole drillstring*. I was going to the galley in the morning when I met the geologist and another man on my way, they were discussing and I overheard them that the whole drillstring came to the surface. Whao! Normally, the drillstring was expected to come to the surface in fractions with the remaining been sealed off with the hole. I was glad I prayed. ‘God you’re so good and you answer prayers’, I whispered. The recovery of the string was a Christmas gift to us on the rig, this was going to be a special rig Christmas, everyone was excited.

In the evening, during fellowship, four people shared the same testimony—the recovery of the string—how they were grateful to God for answering their prayers over the matter. You see, we can trust God for anything and tell Him everything. Nothing is too small or too big to tell God about. No problem is too technical or tough for God to solve; nothing is too difficult for Him.

 (An account of a series of events when I was on Seawolf Oritsetimehin last year December. Written today, 01/02/12)

 

*string/drilstring: the assembly of pipes and accessories used on oil rigs for drilling

*SPP: an acronym for Stand Pipe Pressure, one of the most parameters measured on oil rigs

*pack-off: a situation in which the formation in the subsurface collapse around the drillstring such that it gets stuck in the hole

*jarring: a method of freeing a stuck string from the hole to the surface, it is made possible by a component of the drillstring called ‘jar’

*toolbox meeting: a brief meeting held before every operation on oil rigs

No comments:

Post a Comment