Tuesday 17 December 2013

DOUBLE FOR MY TROUBLE


It was compulsory for every student in my department to pay a fee called departmental levy every semester. Failure to do so would cost you important lectures and or exams (and you know what that means).

Before school resumed for a particular semester, I ensured I stood on my dad's neck to collect my departmental levy after which I left for campus. I was one of the first few (if not the first) to pay because classes had not resumed at the time I returned to school. Usually, when we paid at the bank, we were given a pink copy which served as the evidence of your payment at the department. Your receipt would be given you in exchange for this pink sheet. But somehow, I misplaced my pink sheet. I searched everywhere in my room, it was nowhere to be found. As a result, I could not go for the receipt on time.

I continued to hope to find the pink sheet as soon as possible. Before I knew it,  they were coming to chase out of lecture rooms those who had not paid. I tried in vain to explain to our level adviser that I paid already, but I had no evidence to prove. I was chased out as well. I cried. I cried because I had paid, just that I couldn't find the pink sheet. I decided to go meet with the head of department. I explained to him but burst to tears towards the end of my story. He lost his patience and sent me out of his office.

Later that day,  he (the HOD) announced that we had been pardoned till a certain time after which we would not be tolerated again. I was relieved and returned to class for lectures. But how would I find money to pay this fee a second time? Telling my father was out of it, what explanation would I give him?

Now, a big sister who finished three years ahead of me from my department had earlier sent some money into my account so I could collect her transcript for her. I saw the money as a way out hoping that I would be able to pay back before it would be time to get her transcript.  I re-paid the levy.

The Friday that followed the day I made the payment, the sister called. She was in town and had decided to collect the transcript herself. What would I do? Where would I get the money from? The departmental levy was half her money, thus I still had the other half in my account. I told her okay as if everything was fine that I'd see her the following week with the money. My head was calculating. I asked everyone I thought could be of help  to lend me some money, no way.  That Friday,  we had a vigil at the fellowship. While in the heat of worship/prayer, I would remember that I had some money to pay and my heart would skip, then I'd try to re-focus on the Lord.

The following two days, Saturday and Sunday,  I was busy running around for decorating materials as I was the Graphics Coordinator in my fellowship.  Monday was going to be October 1st (Nigeria's Independence) and we had virtually no decorating material then in the fellowship. All the while I was sourcing for decorating materials, I never forgot about the money, but I tried to stay my heart on the Lord. I had no idea who was going to lend me the money.

On Monday, we had a nice program at our fellowship's site to mark the Independence Day. The next day I switched off my phone and did not go to school (gratefully, lectures were over at the time).  I did this because I would not want a situation in which she would call my line and I would not pick her call. Later on in the day,  I decided to go to the bank, collect the remaining half and keep it. I still had hope that I'd be able to raise the money from people.

At the bank, I filled the withdrawal slip and gave it to the teller. He paid me and and gave me my copy of the slip. My balance was barely over 3000 naira. This must be dreaming! I should have 150 naira as balance, where did he get 3000 naira from? I left him and went over to the customer care corner.  I gave them my account number and requested for a statement of my balance.  It was the same as what the cashier wrote in the duplicate.  Okay, now it must be me that was dreaming. I concluded I would go back home and return the following day. If then I was paid 2500 naira, which was how much I needed, I'd know it was not a dream.

The next day I was paid and I had some changes left in my account. Could it be that an uncle paid into my account or my mum did, or was it an angel? And why did this happen just at the nick of time? In short, I switched on my phone, called to inform the sister I was coming to give her the money. She waited for me at the department. Maybe she was relieved,  maybe she had been wondering if I had spent her money. I handed her money to her and we were both happy.

Well, no-one that I know paid into my account and i was never called from the bank that someone mistakenly deposited into my accoint. I bless the Lord who spared me from shame and disgrace. He covered up for me and made a way where there was no way. Before I had this experience,  I only heard a similar story from Pastor Adeboye in one of his messages and I wondered how incredible it was (though I believed).

The conclusion of this testimony is that at the end of that semester after exams,  when there were not many students on campus,  I found the naughty naughty pink sheet hiding somewhere in a notebook. O my! I took it to the bank and boldly demanded for a refund, since I paid two times. They asked me to state my petition in a letter which I did. After a little ado, the money was refunded.  God gave me double for my troubles--I got the money paid back miraculously and eventually found the misplaced duplicate.   

1 comment: