Tuesday 30 July 2013

DELIVERANCE FROM CHILDHOOD PERILS



When I was three, my older sister and I with other kids used to follow my aunt to her lesson-place (sort of kindergarten, but not in a formally organised school). There was a narrow stream we used to cross on our way then. One fateful day during the rainy season, we were going for lessons as usual, but the stream was fuller than normal and was gushing. Every other child crossed but me, I was scared of the rapid waters. So, I stayed put crying and would not cross. My aunt was angry. She could not see why I could not cross when other children (even those younger than me) crossed and refused to help me. At last I tried to cross and my foot slipped. My foot slid, but I managed to balance and cross properly. I was stiff scared. I knew, even as little as I was that 'Olorun lo yo mi' (God saved me). When I grew up and I learnt about the ministry of angels, I understood angels came to my rescue that day. I still remember everything clearly, I can see the rapid flow of the water as it was on the day and the way my foot slipped, I was supposed to be flushed off by the angry torrents, but the Lord delivered me.

Another day at age five, my mum was supposed to go out, but she kept dragging her feet and decided she would not go any more. My dad too had a plan to go somewhere, somehow he changed his mind too. Then without warning, I slumped in the passage. I was rushed to the hospital in our landlord's car. I was in coma for five days. I did not remember all these stories, I was told. But I remember one thing, I recall that when I awoke from my five-day-slumber and I sat up on the bed singing a Yoruba thanksgiving song:

Se ni ma dupe; se ni ma yin O (Me I will give thanks; me I will praise you)
Ainiye lore Jesu; seni ma dupe o Baba (Jesus' blessings are uncountable; me I will give thanks Father)
Sibi ile mi o gbolide; oku eko o won lobe (My spoon does not go on holiday, plenty of fish in my soup)
Iya eleko o wa sinwo (I am not owing any debt)
Ore Jesu se laye mi o; se ni ma dupe o Baba (For Jesus' goodness in my life, me I will give thanks Father)

My mum was there sitting down watching me with joyful relief. I remember some people rushed in (certainly the doctor and nurses), among whom was an elderly white woman--it was Sacred Heart Hospital in Abeokuta. I still wonder till today how I knew I was to give thanks immediately I woke up from that coma.

There was also this day I was riding a gate with a friend at their house. We went on visit to their house (our parents were friends with theirs). We were riding to and fro with the gate and enjoying the ride when my finger was caught in the gate's hinge. I did not remember how my hand was caught, but I can recall how we were performing our merry ride. I was rushed to the hospital.

I was told also of another day when I suddenly developed some swell-up on my body and the nanny who was taking care of me had to send for my mum in her school and I was rushed to the clinic.

The Lord has preserved me from the womb till now. I know He will keep me to the end and fulfil His plans for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment