Saturday 31 August 2013

WE MISS YOU MOM!


It makes it five years today when we watched your life ebb out of you right in our eyes. Really, death has sting but glory to Jesus who conquered death for us and that has always been our confidence that your death was a transition to glory. We really miss you mom and God has been faithful.

I remember one morning when I came home on my monthly visit from school. You followed me to the park that day. We had to cross the road to the other side on alighting from the taxi and I had a heavy bag. As a 'biz' girl, I was still thinking of how to carry my bag across when you swooped up the bag and it landed on your head. You did that for me, mum.

I remember also the day you came to see me in school during PDS (pre-degree days) with my school fees and you came not without some goodies--fried fish and stuffs. You were in that beautiful robe of yours and I was so glad to see you....

The night of your transition when AnBlai (Anti Bolaji) and I were planning your burial in the sitting room, we would look at each other amidst tears and say, 'So this is how it feels like to lose one's mum', and then another round of weeping. It was so sorrowful. We couldn't believe it that day when it happened, when everyone left home with your body and AnBusola took us (Shade and I) upstairs. We were crying and praying and I uttered some nonsense to God before I could caution myself.

The next morning when church folks came to visit and sang "Gbori re soke alaare tori ayo n bo lowuro (Oh, weary pilgrim, lift your head: For joy cometh in the morning)", I drew my veil to cover my face and backed everyone. I couldn't sing, I was crying.... But I remembered the song I wrote and sang unto the Lord when my sister sent to me in a text message the result of the test (while I was still battling with fine-tuning my project and submitting in school) that the Lord would still be my God even if the worst thing happened, even if He didn't deliver from the lion's den. And really the Lord is still my God, not only mine but our God.

And we can say indeed that joy comes in the morning. To say we miss you is an understatement. We are glad to God for ever comforting us on this matter, for filling the vacuum. It has not been easy, because you died so young--at 54--but God has been there. And we are not throwing a pity party either, but how can we ever forget you? It is not easy imagining you will be absent from all our weddings and your grandchildren will only see your photos. Blessed is your memory in our hearts.

WE BLESS THE LORD OUR GOD, OUR EVER PRESENT COMFORTER.

* 'biz' is a Nigerian funny version for 'big'

No comments:

Post a Comment