Tuesday 13 August 2013

DINNER DEBATE

Sometimes last week over dinner, I found myself in the middle of a debate with some colleagues: 'Who cheat more in marriages--men or women?' Ladies in the group maintained it's men while guys disagreed. Well, I made a point clear to them. I said, 'Guys cheat more or less, ladies cheat less or more, my own case is different'. They asked me what makes it different and I told them.

'My man cannot cheat on me because he loves and fears God. Cheating on me will make him hurt God and he won't do that, he doesn't want to see the one he loves and adores unhappy.'

One guy shook his head and corrected, 'He will not cheat on you because he loves you.' That was a tough challenge, but Wisdom bailed me out.

I said, 'Not because he 'loves' me, because if he 'loves' me he can still cheat on me. Is it not you men that usually give the excuse that you could have extra marital affairs and still 'love' your wife, that your heart is not in your flings as it is with women? So if it is based on 'love', he can cheat. But because God lives in him and he fears and loves Him, he will not cheat on me'. Well, that ended the argument. These were people from different backgrounds and cultures. We were only two Christians in the group.

What gave me the confidence to say that even though I am not married yet? The fact that I know that some things cannot happen to me because I belong to God. Infidelity either on my side or on my husband's side can never be a question in my home (not by power or by might but by His Spirit). Don't tell me I can't be too sure. I am cocksure about this because of Jeremiah 29:11. And Proverbs 3:25 too. Why should I anticipate evil happening to me in marriage when I have Psalms 91:7 and 121:3,7 and other beautiful promises always in the Bible? I am confident that the Lord helps me in everything including how to be the best wife to my husband and He does the same to my husband too. He will never let our feet slip. God is going to show off to the world through my marriage what His love is. This my soul knows very well and is persuaded about.

No comments:

Post a Comment